yesterday, hidden amoung the smoke and mirrors of the faux bombs in London, Congress voted to extended the Patriot Act. all under the guise of keeping `us` safe.
this isn`t about keep anyone safe, they don`t even know where to begin doing that. and if you think i don`t know what i`m talking about, talk a read throught my archives about my dealings with the USCIS and see how secure that makes you feel. this about maintaining the illusion of safety and the power to fuck with people.
and i hear the voices from the peanut gallery cry, “No, Not our government.”
Section 215 of the Patriot Act allows:
* Order any person or entity to turn over “any tangible things,” so long as the FBI specifies that the order is part of an authorized terrorism or intelligence investigation.
* Obtain personal data, including medical records, without any specific facts connecting those records to a foreign terrorist.
* Prohibit doctors and insurance companies from disclosing to their patients that their medical records have been seized by the government.
* Obtain library and book store records, including lists of books checked out, without any specific facts connecting the records to a foreign agent or terrorist.
* Obtain private financial records without a court order, and without notification to the person involved.
* Conduct intelligence investigations of both United States citizens and permanent residents without probable cause, or even reasonable grounds to believe that they are engaged in criminal activity or are agents of a foreign power.
* Investigate U.S. citizens based in part on their exercise of their First Amendment rights, and non-citizens based solely on their exercise of those rights. (Naturally, decisions about what constitutes “in part” are left to a secret court, meeting secretly.)
of course none of this affects any of you law-abiding, non-terrorist, readers, but without due process how will you ever know?
i`m so livid right now i can`t get the words out, i`m just going to leave this to stew.